If you are thinking about getting a new bed soon, Labor Day weekend mattress sales are an excellent time to save. Nearly all major brands and retailers participate in Labor Day weekend specials and events, and many offer their best deals of the year, rivaled only by Black Friday.
Getting a new mattress can be exciting, but did you know that a recent study showed using a new bedding system increases sleep quality and reduces back pain? You’ll be surprised to see what you’ve been missing. A new mattress is an investment in your health and if you can get a discount, all the better. Let’s get to the deals then, eh?
Top Mattress Deals for Labor Day 2015
|Store||Mattress Type||Bed||Price (Queen)||Specs||Warranty|
|Amerisleep||Memory Foam||Revere Bed||$1,249.00||Med-firm|
3" memory foam
9" foam support
Soft to firm
3x3" certified organic dunlop latex
|Sleepy's||Innerspring||Serta Perfect Sleeper Dunlake Luxury Firm Queen Mattress Set||$799.99 (set)||11" profile|
?" foam top
886 pocket coils
|10 years non-prorated|
Find the Best Mattress Sales for Labor Day 2015
In this guide, we’ll look at the when, where and how of holiday deals and give you insider insight into how to score the best mattress sales. Your chances are pretty good, though, because this is such a great time to purchase a new mattress. It does help to be prepared, so take some time and go over the information in this guide to improve your chances of success.
What is This Holiday and Why Are There Sales?
This holiday became natioanlly recognized in the 1880s, and was designed to honor the labor and achievements of workers following a period of national strikes and unrest. It is a Federal holiday, and many people are given the day off to celebrate.
Because businesses know people are off work and have spare time to shop during the extended weekend, this holiday has become a popular weekend for sales ending summer and kicking off autumn. In addition to mattresses, everything from clothes to appliances to cars and more are hot ticket items. Mattress retailers really seize the opportunity and typically have extremely reduced prices and other impressive offers for this season.
When to Start Shopping
The actual holiday takes place on the first Monday of September. In 2015, Labor Day falls on September 7th. However, mattress sales for the holiday can be found in many stores several days earlier than the actual holiday, usually by the preceding weekend or week.
Retailers usually begin releasing their mattress promotions in the week before, but it is wise to start researching mattresses well before that Monday so you have a good idea of what you’re looking for. Getting familiar with the marketplace and researching mattress types/brands before you go to buy will help you make wiser choices rather than impulse splurges.
Where to Find Sales
Perhaps the easiest way to research and locate the best mattress deals is to browse online, as many brands will issue press releases or post details on their websites close to the sale date. Working from the couch is about all the strenuous activity you need for the big holiday weekend.
Simply search for brands or mattress types you’re interested in, or look for articles or forums like FatWallet.com or SlickDeals.com that list sales if you still aren’t sure. A good search phrase to put into your engine is “Labor Day mattress sales” or “Labor Day mattress deals” or something similar. You can also check deal websites and blogs that compare deals, such as this site.
Newspapers are a good source for local ads, and if you have a specific brand in mind, you might be to sign up for their email newsletter or follow social media feeds to get sale notifications.
Tips for Comparing Mattress Deals for Labor Day
Once you’ve located deals and offers, it’s time to compare and research the actual value. Some retailers may exaggerate deals or use other high-pressure tactics to get sales, and not every sale you see may be a great value. Find more helpful tips in our guide to less stressful mattress shopping.
Don’t Get Blinded by Discounts
Consumer Reports says that although mattress deals may proclaim big discounts like 50% or 75% off, that this is largely markup and that the discounts off regular retail prices are often not as steep. Known as “price anchoring,” this dishonest practice is an attempt to anchor a higher value in the customer’s mind by setting an unrealistically high price.
For example, their ShopSmart division said in a September 2014 press release that a Serta Vantage mattress that sells at many places for $1074 (the minimum price set by Serta) was listed at one popular mattress website with a regular price of $2148 just to give the impression of 50% savings.
When you see big discounts and percentage slashes, don’t take it at face value and get blinded by the prospect of a deal – see what similar beds are selling for elsewhere to get a better idea of the value.
Have a Game Plan
Before the holiday weekend, spend a little time learning about different mattress types and materials so you know what you’re looking at and comparing. Determine which mattress size you’ll need (measure if you aren’t sure) and then which type or types you are interested in.
Overall, innerspring beds are most popular, but other mattress types all rate considerably better in reviews. Each mattress type has pros and cons to consider, and your sleep position and other preferences will also play a role. The internet is a very helpful source for mattress information, reviews and comparisons. Use everything at your disposal.
You may find it easiest to pick out a couple of beds that look reliable and fit your needs in the weeks prior to Labor Day, and then compare deals from different stores once the sales and ads come out. That way you won’t have to cram all your shopping into one weekend or day.
Skip Ultra-Cheap Promo Beds
Promotional beds are usually featured cheap and in big letters during major sales for prices between $200 and $500, but these are typically lower quality and may need to be replaced much sooner than beds that may cost just a little more. Stores also may only have a limited stock of these offers, designed primarily just to get people in the door. Consumer Reports suggests that these types of beds are probably not ideal for daily-use beds, but you may get away with using them in a guest room or for a temporary situation.
Details, Details, Details
You’ll want to locate or inquire about specification information for each mattress, such as layer compositions, foam density, coil count, etc. to understand the quality, then compare prices with other competitors to determine value. There is a lot to remember, so you may want to write some things down. Our past guide to memory foam mattresses, adjustable bed comparisons, and our article on discount versus luxury bed brands are good places to start if you aren’t sure what to look for.
Quality & Satisfaction Guarantees
Don’t forget to look in to warranties and return policies as well. Many mid-level and higher beds come with at least 10 years of full coverage protection. The majority of brands of spring beds cover sagging of 1.5″ or more, while good memory foam and latex warranties will cover sagging of 0.75″ or more.
Satisfaction guarantees or return windows are also important, as even showroom tests don’t tell you how a mattress will feel during a full night’s sleep. You should have at least 30 days to return or at the very least exchange in case it doesn’t work out for you.
We recommend also researching reviews for the company and mattress models, too, as other customers can provide helpful information about quality, service and comfort that you may not see when researching or testing beds. Often, you can find consistency in the types of things consumers are reporting, both good and bad, which can give you particularly useful insight.
Sneak Peak of the Best Labor Day Sales: 2015
As soon as stores begin release their ads and deals for 2015, we’ll feature them here so bookmark this page! A preview of what you’ll find includes Macy’s and Sears Labor Day mattress sale offers, other major national retailers, and top online brands like Tempurpedic and Serta.
If past sales are any indication, you’ll likely see a range of good deals under $1000 for all kinds of beds and plenty of discounts or package/finance deals on more expensive brands. There should be something for any budget this year, as in years previous.
Online at Amerisleep.com from 9/4 to 9/7.
- $250 of all Amerisleep mattresses
- 100 day zero-risk trial
- 50% off all Ergo Invincible adjustable beds
Online at Astrabeds.com from 9/4 to 9/7.
- $250 of all Astrabeds mattresses
- $500 off all Ergostar adjustable beds
Online at Macys.com and in stores starting 9/2.
- $287 – Macybed Memory Foam Mattress, Tight Top Firm or Plush, Online Only
- $497 – Sealy Posturepedic Clearbrook Cushion Firm Eurotop Mattress (Queen)
- $587 – Macybed Memory Foam Mattress, Tight Top Luxury Firm or Plush, Online Only
- $897 – Sealy Posturepedic Market Street Cushion Firm Tight Top Mattress
- $897 – Beautyrest Recharge Alayna Luxury Firm Pillowtop Queen Mattress
Online at MattressFirm.com and in stores now through 9/13.
- $147.00 – Sealy East Hills Firm Tight Top Mattress
- $189.99 – Hampton & Rhodes 200 Queen Set
- $399.99 Sealy PosturePedic Ashlin Queen Mattress Set
- $497.00 – Sealy Posturepedic Clearbrook Cushion Firm Eurotop Mattress (Queen)
- $499.99 – Beautyrest Greenwood Queen Set
- $1072.00 – iComfort by Serta Insight Everfeel Memory Foam Firm Mattress Package
- $3199.00 – Tempur-Pedic Cloud Elite Extra Soft Mattress Set Queen Size
Online at 1800Mattress.com, dates unspecified.
- $299.99 – Spring Air Firm Queen Sized Set
- $431.99 – Sealy Posturepedic Classic Series Plush Mattress
- $575.99 – Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Plush Mattress (Queen)
- $1174.99 – Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Plush Mattress
- $2114.99 – Simmons Beautyrest Black Evie Luxury Firm Pillowtop Queen Mattress
Online at Overstock.com, dates unspecified.
- $224.99 – Select Luxury 8-inch Queen-Size Airflow Double Sided Foam Mattress
- $292.49 – Select Luxury E.C.O. All Natural Latex Medium Firm 8-inch Twin-Size Hybrid Mattress
- $359.99 – Comfort Dreams Select-A-Firmness 11-inch Queen-Size Memory Foam Mattress
- $557.99 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Incite Euro Top Queen-size Mattress Set
- $611.99 – Beautyrest Recharge ‘Maddyn’ Luxury Firm Queen-Size Mattress Set
- $719.99 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Incite Euro Top King-Size Mattress Set
- $1232.99 – Nature’s Rest Allure Firm Latex King-Size Mattress Set
Online and in select stores starting 9/3.
- Up to 60% off all mattresses and sets
- Free delivery with orders $599 or more
Online at Serta.com, dates unspecified.
- Free box springs with mattress purchase
- Up to $1000 off select adjustable bed
Online at sleepys.com and in stores, dates unspecified.
- Free boxspring with all Serta mattresses
- ½ off every mattress excluding Tempurpedic
- $379.99 – Sealy Posturepedic Alpenglow Cushion Firm Mattress Queen Size
- $599.99 – Sertapedic Brookstone Gel Set (Queen)
- $699.99 – Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm Mattress
- $799.99 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Dunlake Luxury Firm Mattress
- $899.99 – Sealy Posturepedic C Port Cartier Luxury Plush Queen Mattress
- $1274.99 – Serta I-Series Cachet Super Pillowtop Mattress
- $1299.99 – Beautyrest Phenom Crossover Plush Queen Mattress
- $1474.99 – iComfort Intellectual EFX Queen Mattress
- $1774.99 – Serta I-Series Profiles Super Pillowtop Mattress Queen Set
- $1974.99 – iComfort Brilliant EFX Mattress (Queen)
Online at Tempurpedic.com from 8/19 to 9/13 while supplies last.
- Save up to $500 on select mattresses + adjustable bases
Online at Walmart.com and in some stores, dates unspecified.
- $189 – Spa Sensations 8″ Memory Foam Queen Mattress
- $229 – Slumber 1 – 10” Dream Pillow Top Queen Mattress
- $249 – Gel – Spa Sensations 8″ MyGel Memory Foam Queen Mattress
- $330 – Signature Sleep Memoir 12″ Memory Foam Queen Mattress
- $399 – Sealy Posturepedic Estill Springs Plush Queen Mattress
Even though it’s great to save on a big purchase like a mattress during big weekend specials, you still want to get a product that’s worth your money and that you’ll be happy with for years to come. Remember, we spend about one-third of our lives on our mattresses. Plan ahead and do your research, and you’ll be equipped to save and get better sleep with this year’s Labor Day deals on beds.