If you are thinking about getting a new bed soon, Labor Day mattress sales present an excellent time to save. Nearly all major brands and retailers participate in Labor Day weekend specials and events, and many offer their best deals of the year, rivaled only by Black Friday.
Getting a new mattress can be exciting, but did you know that a recent study showed using a new bedding system increases sleep quality and reduces back pain? You’ll be surprised to see what you’ve been missing. A new mattress is an investment in your health and if you can get a discount, all the better. Let’s get to the deals then, eh?
Top Mattress Deals for Labor Day 2017
|Store||Mattress Type||Bed||Price (Queen)||Specs||Warranty|
|Amerisleep||Memory Foam||Revere Bed||$1,099.00||20 years|
Shakespeare Luxury Firm Set
|$1,099.99 - |
|10 years non-prorated|
This year, the Labor Day mattress sales with the best combination of value, quality, good reviews and fair guarantees come from the brands above.
- Last year, our featured deals included memory foam beds from Amerisleep and hybrid innerspring sets from Sleepy’s. Check back in late August to see what’s hot in 2017!
Find the Best Labor Day Mattress Sales for 2017
In this guide, we’ll look at the when, where and how of holiday deals and give you insider insight into how to score the best mattress. Your chances are pretty good, though, because this is such a great time to purchase a new bed. It does help to be prepared, so take some time and go over the information in this guide to improve your chances of success.
What is This Holiday and Why Are There Sales?
This holiday became natioanlly recognized in the 1880s, and was designed to honor the labor and achievements of workers following a period of national strikes and unrest. It is a Federal holiday, and many people are given the day off to celebrate.
Businesses know people are off work and have spare time to shop during the extended weekend. So, this holiday has become a popular weekend for sales ending summer and kicking off autumn. In addition to mattresses, everything from clothes to appliances to cars and more are hot ticket items. Retailers really seize the opportunity and typically have extremely reduced prices and other impressive offers for this season.
When to Start Shopping
The actual holiday takes place on the first Monday of September. In 2017, Labor Day falls on September 4th. However, mattress sales for the holiday pop up in many stores several days earlier than the actual holiday. Usually, you see them by the preceding weekend or week.
So, retailers usually begin releasing their mattress promotions in the week before. But, it is wise to start researching mattresses well before that Monday. You want a good idea of what you’re looking for. Getting familiar with the marketplace and researching mattress types/brands before you go to buy will help you make wiser choices rather than impulse splurges.
Where to Find Sales
Perhaps the easiest way to research and locate the best mattress deals is to browse online, as many brands will issue press releases or post details on their websites close to the sale date. Working from the couch is about all the strenuous activity you need for the big holiday weekend.
Simply search for brands or mattress types you’re interested in, or look for articles or forums like FatWallet.com or SlickDeals.com that list sales if you still aren’t sure. A good search phrase to put into your engine is “Labor Day mattress sales” or “Labor Day mattress deals” or something similar. You can also check deal websites and blogs that compare deals, such as this site.
Newspapers are a good source for local ads, and if you have a specific brand in mind, you might be to sign up for their email newsletter or follow social media feeds to get sale notifications.
Tips for Comparing Mattress Deals for Labor Day
Once you’ve located deals and offers, it’s time to compare and research the actual value. Some retailers may exaggerate deals or use other high-pressure tactics to get sales, and not every sale you see may be a great value. Find more helpful tips in our guide to less stressful mattress shopping.
Don’t Get Blinded by Discounts
Consumer Reports says that although mattress deals may proclaim big discounts like 50% or 75% off, that this is largely markup and that the discounts off regular retail prices are often not as steep. Known as “price anchoring,” this dishonest practice is an attempt to anchor a higher value in the customer’s mind by setting an unrealistically high price.
For example, their ShopSmart division said in a September 2014 press release that a Serta Vantage mattress that sells at many places for $1074 (the minimum price set by Serta) was listed at one popular mattress website with a regular price of $2148 just to give the impression of 50% savings.
When you see big discounts and percentage slashes, don’t take it at face value and get blinded by the prospect of a deal – see what similar beds are selling for elsewhere to get a better idea of the value.
Have a Game Plan
Before the holiday weekend, spend a little time learning about different mattress types and materials so you know what you’re looking at and comparing. Determine which mattress size you’ll need (measure if you aren’t sure) and then which type or types you are interested in.
Overall, innerspring beds are most popular, but other mattress types all rate considerably better in reviews. Each mattress type has pros and cons to consider, and your sleep position and other preferences will also play a role. The internet is a very helpful source for mattress information, reviews and comparisons. Use everything at your disposal.
You may find it easiest to pick out a couple of beds that look reliable and fit your needs in the weeks prior to Labor Day, and then compare deals from different stores once the sales and ads come out. That way you won’t have to cram all your shopping into one weekend or day.
Skip Ultra-Cheap Promo Beds
Promotional beds usually stand out in big letters. During major sales, prices range between $200 and $500. But, lower quality proves common and they may wear out much quicker than beds that cost just a little more. Stores also may only have a limited stock of these offers, designed primarily just to get people in the door. Consumer Reports suggests that these types of beds are probably not ideal for daily-use beds, but you may get away with using them in a guest room or for a temporary situation.
Details, Details, Details
You’ll want to locate or inquire about specification information for each mattress, such as layer compositions, foam density, coil count, etc. to understand the quality, then compare prices with other competitors to determine value. There is a lot to remember, so you may want to write some things down. Our past guide to memory foam mattresses, adjustable bed comparisons, and our article on discount versus luxury bed brands are good places to start if you aren’t sure what to look for.
Quality & Satisfaction Guarantees
Don’t forget to look in to warranties and return policies as well. Many mid-level and higher beds come with at least 10 years of full coverage protection. The majority of brands of spring beds cover sagging of 1.5″ or more, while good memory foam and latex warranties will cover sagging of 0.75″ or more.
Satisfaction guarantees or return windows are also important, as even showroom tests don’t tell you how a mattress will feel during a full night’s sleep. You should have at least 30 days to return or at the very least exchange in case it doesn’t work out for you.
We recommend also researching reviews for the company and mattress models, too, as other customers can provide helpful information about quality, service and comfort that you may not see when researching or testing beds. Often, you can find consistency in the types of things consumers are reporting, both good and bad, which can give you particularly useful insight.
Sneak Peak of the Best Labor Day Mattress Sales: 2017
As soon as stores begin release their ads and deals for 2017, we’ll feature them here so bookmark this page! A preview of what you’ll find includes Macy’s and Sears Labor Day mattress sales, other major national retailers, and top online brands like Tempurpedic and Serta.
If past sales are any indication, you’ll likely see a range of good deals under $1000 for all kinds of beds. Plenty of discounts or package/finance deals on more expensive brands also seem popular. There should be something for any budget this year, as in years previous.
Online at Amerisleep.com. September 2 – September 5.
- $200 off any plant-based memory foam mattress with code “LD200”. Includes free shipping and free returns.
- 20% off Amerisleep adjustable bed with the purchase of any mattress
Online at Astrabeds.com. September 2 – September 5.
- $150 off any size Harmony organic latex mattress with code “LABORDAY”. Includes free shipping and free comfort exchanges.
- 20% off Ergo Evolution adjustable base with the purchase of any mattress
Online at Macys.com and in stores. Through September 5 (some may continue later).
- $147 – Sealy Cedar Valley Firm Queen Set
- $297 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Calm Canyon Firm Queen Set
- $397 – Beautyrest Classic Jillian Firm Queen Set
- $397 – Sealy Posturepedic Orchard Valley Firm Queen Set
- $497 – Sealy Posturepedic Cherry Hill Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Beautyrest Classic Bethany Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Beautyrest Recharge Mona Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Sealy Posturepedic Grant Park Ltd. Cushion Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $697 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Gentle Retreat Extra Firm or Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $797 – Sealy Posturepedic Grant Park Ltd. Cushion Firm or Plush Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $797 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite Gentle Retreat Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $797 – Beautyrest Recharge Mona Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $897 – Sealy Posturepedic Knotty Pines Firm, Cushion Firm or Plush Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $997 – Beautyrest Recharge Plus Santa Rosa Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $997 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Hybrid Elegant Retreat Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $1272 – Serta iComfort Foresight Cushion Firm Memory Foam Queen Set
- $1297 – Stearns and Foster Estate Garrick Luxury Firm or Luxury Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $1797 – Beautyrest Black Giada Extra Firm Queen Set
- $1797 – Hotel Collection by Aireloom Vitagenic Copper Gel Firm Queen Set
- $2337 – Beautyrest Black Viviane Luxury Firm or Plush Pillowtop Queen Set
- $3299 – Tempurpedic Cloud Elite Extra Soft Queen Set
- $100-$300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses
- $50-$200 Tempur Ergo Premier and Ergo Plus adjustable bases ($1949 – Tempurpedic Ergo Premier base)
- Free box spring with Serta iComfort, Beautyrest World Class Hybrid, and Beautyrest Recharge World Class
Online at MattressFirm.com and in stores. Through September 5.
- $159 – Hampton and Rhodes Firm Queen Set (doorbuster, model unspecified)
- $199 – Hampton and Rhodes Pillowtop Queen Set (doorbuster, model unspecified)
- $299 – Sealy Parsons 8.5” Firm Queen Set
- $299 – Hampton and Rhodes HR200 7.5” Medium Firm Euro Top Queen Set
- $399 – Hampton and Rhodes HR300 9” Plush Queen Set
- $399 – Sealy Posturepedic Ashlin 9.75” Firm Queen Set
- $449 – Hampton and Rhodes HR340 10.5” Pillow Top Queen Set
- $449 – Hampton and Rhodes HR320 10” Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Hampton and Rhodes HR400 11.5” Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury 8” Plush Memory Foam Queen Set
- $549 – Hampton and Rhodes HR420S 12.25” Plush Queen Set
- $599 – Beautyrest Greenwood 9.5” Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Hampton and Rhodes HR440 12.5” Pillowtop Queen Set
- $699 – Sealy Posturepedic Caversham 10.5” Firm Queen Set
- $699 – Beautyrest Recharge Ashaway 11” Plush Queen Set
- $699 – Hampton and Rhodes Kona 13” Limited Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $799 – Sealy Posturepedic Caversham 11.5” Euro Top Queen Set
- $799 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Kozma 10” Plush Memory Foam Queen Set
- $799 – Beautyrest Recharge Hartfield 11.5” Luxury Firm Queen Set
- $899 – Sealy Posturepedic Chaleigh 12.5” Plush Queen Set
- $3199 – Serta SmartReact Park Vista Firm Queen Set
- $3299 – Beautyrest Black Hybrid Clermont Pillow Top Queen Set
- $3499 – Tempur-Cloud Supreme HD Queen Set
- $4798 – Tempur-Contour Rhapsody Luxe and Tempur-Ergo Plus Adjustable Base Queen Set
- Up to $300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses
- Up to $200 gift card by mail with select Tempur Ergo base and mattress sets
- Get up to $200 store credit with select custom collection sets from Beautyrest Black Hybrid, Tempurpedic Supreme HD or Serta SmartReact lines (applies to pillows, protectors, delivery)
- $449 Leggett and Platt 100 adjustable base with purchase of Custom Collection Beautyrest Black Hybrid or Serta SmartReact Elite mattresses
Online at 1800Mattress.com. Dates unspecified.
- Up to 60% off Sealy, Serta, Hampton & Rhodes, and Beautyrest mattress sets.
- $199 – 1800 Mattress Collection Ortho-Posture Firm Euro Top Queen Set
- $429 – Serta Posturepedic Classic Series Cushion Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Serta Sertapedic Brookstone 7 Inch Gel Foam Queen Set
- $783 – Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Plush Queen Set
- $997 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Luxury Super Pillowtop Queen Set
- 1599 – Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Firm Queen Set
- $2049 – Simmons Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm Super Pillowtop Queen Set
- $3399 – Tempur-Flex Elite Mattress Queen Set
Online at Overstock.com.
- Come back soon! We’re keeping an eye out.
Online and in select stores. Through September 11.
- 149 – Serta Coralee Queen Mattress
- $388 – Sealy Posturepedic Carrsville Queen Set
- $388 – Serta Amber Creek Memory Foam Queen Set
- $588 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Taryn Queen Set
- $588 – Sealy Posturepedic Keene Euro Top Queen Set
- $796 – Sealy Posturepedic Leola Tight Top Queen Set
- $796 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Springview Super Pillow Top Queen Set
- $796 – Beautyrest Recharge Madelyn Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Sealy Posturepedic Leola Euro Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Glenellen Super Pillow Top Queen Set
- $895 – Beautyrest Recharge Ultra St. Caroline Tight Top Queen Set
- $50 Sears card with select beds over $749
- $100 Sears card with Beautyrest Platinum sets
- $200 Sears card with Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid or Stearns and Foster sets
- $300 Sears card with Tempurpedic or Tempur-Flex mattress sets.
- Free boxspring with Serta iComfort and iComfort Hybrid mattresses.
- Up to 60% off mattress sets.
- $75-$800 off adjustable base sets (savings vary by brand/model/size)
Online at Serta.com and select retailers. Through September 12.
- Up to $800 off Serta Adjustable Base and Mattress Sets ($200-$300 off queen sets)
- Queen iComfort memory foam and adjustable sets start from $2774; Queen iComfort Hybrid spring and adjustable sets start from $2574.
- Free boxspring with iComfort mattresses (innerspring from $1074 in queen, memory foam from $1274)
Online at sleepys.com and in stores. Through September 5.
- Up to ½ off every mattress.
- $199 – Ortho Posture Firm Euro Top Queen Set
- $299 – Sealy 5 Inch Emmett Creek Foam Firm Queen Set
- $399 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Firm Queen Set
- $499 – Ortho Posture 11 Inch Essential Comfort Firm Queen Set
- $599 – Laura Ashley Ainsley Plush Queen Set
- $699 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Plush Queen Set
- $799 – Sealy Posturepedic Santa Ana Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop Queen Set
- $899 – Beautyrest Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- $1099 – Sealy Posturepedic Port Luxury Plush Queen Set
- $1299 – Beautyrest World Class Recharge Shakespeare Luxury Firm or Plush Queen Set
- Free boxspring with any Serta mattress.
- Up to $600 of G.S. Stearns mattresses (queen sets from $1899), and up to $600 off Reflexion 4 adjustable base.
- From up to $300 off select Tempurpedic mattresses and up to $200 off select Tempur Ergo adjustable base sets.
Online at Tempurpedic.com. Through September 11.
- Up to $300 off Elite and Luxe lines ($200 in queen size)
- Up to $200 card by mail with select Tempur Ergo base and mattress sets (in queen size, $75 with Ergo Plus, $150 with Ergo Premier)
Online at Walmart.com and in some stores.
- Come back soon! We’re keeping an eye out.
It’s great to save on a big purchase like a bed during big weekend specials. But, you still want to get a product that’s worth your money and that you’ll be happy with for years to come. Remember, we spend about one-third of our lives on our mattresses. Plan ahead and do your research. A little work helps you save and sleep better with this year’s Labor Day mattress sales and deals.