Are you thinking that it might be time to get a new bed? You’re in luck. Labor Day mattress sales are one of the best times of the year to find markdowns and other discount offers. No matter what type of new bed you’re looking for, you’re guaranteed to strike big savings with a Labor Day mattress deal.
Nearly every major brand and retailer will be running specials and events over the holiday weekend. In fact, the only other time you’ll find offers this good is on Black Friday. But who wants to wait that long?
It’s no secret that getting a brand new bed opens up a world of comfort. But did you know that upgrading your old mattress can increase sleep quality and reduce back pain? Simply put, a new bed is a major investment in your health and wellbeing. And if you can get it at a discount, all the better.
Here, we’re compiling a running list of all the best offers. You’ll also learn insider tips on how to compare beds to find your best fit at a great price. Plus, the best time to shop to score the biggest savings. Let’s get started!
Find a Great Labor Day Mattress Deal from Amerisleep
If you’re looking for a high-quality bed at a great price, you might want to start your search with Amerisleep. This online manufacturer might be new to you. But they’re making big waves in the world of memory foam mattresses. Amerisleep’s plant-based foam beds have earned more than 14,000 verified reviews with an average rating of 4.7/5 stars. And a full 98% of Amerisleep customers say that they’d recommend the brand to a friend. Sounds like a pretty good endorsement, huh?
Being based online, Amerisleep’s beds are always priced competitively. But the savings are even bigger over the holiday weekend. Shoppers can score $200 off any of Amerisleep’s products. It’s a deal you don’t want to miss!
The brand offers a variety of firm, medium-firm, and soft beds. So there’s truly something for every sleeper. Though if we had to pick a favorite, we’d go with one of these two options:
- Amerisleep’s AS3. The AS3 was rated as the best mattress you can buy online by Allure magazine. The medium-firm surface is a great choice no matter what your sleep style.
- Amerisleep’s AS2. Check out this medium-firm mattress if back pain is a problem. It’s made specifically for back and stomach sleepers. In fact, Business Insider declared it “the best mattress for back pain.” You can’t get an endorsement much better than that!
The AS2, AS3, and Amerisleep’s other beds boast other impressive features too. These include:
- Plant-based materials. Most memory foam mattresses are made from foam that comes from 100% petroleum (crude oil). But Amerisleep substitutes some of the petroleum with plant-based castor oil instead. This oil is more sustainable and eco-friendly.
- Exceptional Bio-PurTM foam. Part of Amerisleep’s proprietary foam is made from from plant ingredients. It’s five times more breathable than traditional foams. That can help you stay cooler while you sleep. It also bounces back to its original shape within seconds—so there’s no sagging.
- HIVETM technology. HIVE stands for Harnessing Intelligent Ventilation and Energy. It provides targeted comfort and support—so your bed is firmer where you want it and softer where you need it.
- Celliant® Cover. These special mattress covers safely turn body heat into infrared energy. Our bodies then absorb this energy, promoting a temporary increase in local blood flow. The FDA determined Amerisleep’s Celliant cover helps increase comfort. It also helps promote restful sleep.
- A risk-free, 100-night sleep trial. If you’re not completely satisfied, all you have to do is let Amerisleep know within 100 nights of your purchase. The brand will issue a full refund. They’ll also work with a local partner to pick up and recycle your mattress. So you don’t have to worry about re-packing it or sending it back.
Whether you go with the AS2, AS3, or another one of the brand’s mattresses, you really can’t go wrong. During the Labor Day holiday, all of Amerisleep’s products will be available for $200 off. With great savings and a risk-free trial, there’s truly nothing to lose.
Top Labor Day Mattress Sales for 2018
This year’s offers combine value, quality, good reviews, and fair guarantees. You’ll come across plenty of promotions in the coming weeks—and we have a full list of offers later in the article. But if you’re looking for the Clif’s Notes version, check out this chart. These are the top offers for both memory foam and innerspring beds.
|Store||Mattress Type||Bed||Price (Queen)||Specs||Warranty|
|Amerisleep||Memory Foam||AS2 Mattress||$1,099.00||20 years|
|Mattress Firm||Innerspring||Beautyrest World|
|$1,599.00||10 years non-prorated|
Find the Best Labor Day Mattress Deal for 2018
We’ve listed a few options worth looking at so far. But what if you want to keep searching? Doing your research and shopping around is a smart move. This guide will show you exactly what to do.
We’ll look at the when, where, and how of holiday sale events. We’ll also share insider insight into how to score the best bed. Your chances of finding something great are sky high, since it’s such a great weekend to shop. Still, it always helps to be prepared. Take some time to read through the info in this guide—and you’ll improve your chances of shopping success.
Labor Day Mattress Sales: Why Are They So Big?
You might be wondering how summer’s last hurrah turned into such a fantastic shopping event for beds. This holiday became nationally recognized way back in the 1880’s. It was meant to honor the labor and achievements of workers after a period of national strikes and unrest. Since it’s a federal holiday, almost everyone has the day off to relax and celebrate.
Of course, retailers know that many people are off from work. Which means they have extra time to go shopping. So it’s no surprise that this holiday has become a popular weekend for discount events. And it’s not just beds that are on sale. Everything from clothing, to appliances, to cars are hot ticket items over Labor Day. The offers are always impressive, so it would be a shame to miss out.
When to Shop for a Labor Day Mattress Deal
Labor Day always falls on the first Monday of September. This year, that’s September 3rd. But do you have to buy your bed on the actual holiday in order to save? Nope. Sale events tend to start popping up at the start of the holiday weekend, usually by Thursday or Friday. All of them run through Monday, with many lasting even longer. So don’t feel too pressured. You have some time!
Retailers usually start releasing info on their promotions in the week leading up to the holiday. But it’s smart to start researching beds a week or two in advance. Think about your preferences and nail down a few options that meet your needs. Getting familiar with what’s out there before you buy will help you make a smarter choice. You’ll also avoid the dreaded impulse buy.
Where to Find Great Offers
Promos and price cuts will be pretty much everywhere. But browsing online is the easiest way to find the best offers. Many brands will post details on their websites or social feeds as the holiday gets close. You can also sign up for sale announcements via their e-newsletters. So the only work you have to do is open up your browser.
You can start by searching for brands or mattress types that you’re interested in. Or if you still aren’t sure, look for articles or forums that list sales like FatWallet.com or SlickDeals.com. Good old-fashioned Googling is always an option too. Just search for “Labor Day mattress sales” or “Labor Day mattress deal.” You’ll come up with a ton of hits in no time.
Prefer to shop at a nearby showroom? Newspapers are a good source for local promotions. So go ahead and comb through that advertising section
How to Compare Labor Day Mattress Sales
Finding the offers is half the battle. Once you know what’s out there, it’s time to compare them to figure out which ones deliver the most bang for your buck. Some retailers exaggerate deals or use other high-pressure tactics to get your money. And not every promo you see may be a great value.
So how can you tell the good from the bad? Keep these smart shopping tips in mind.
Don’t Get Blinded by Discounts
You very well may come across markdowns as high as 50% or 75% off. And though they might seem incredible, they’re usually too good to be true. Ultra-steep discounts are usually a sign of a tactic known as price anchoring. This dishonest practice is an attempt to anchor a higher value in the customer’s mind by setting an unrealistically high price. As a result, a price cut seems much more impressive than it actually is.
Take this example. A 2014 press release claimed that a Serta Vantage mattress sells at many places for $1,074. (The minimum price set by Serta). But the regular price was listed at $2,148 on Serta’s website. This gave the impression of a 50% savings.
The bottom line? Don’t take big discounts or percentage slashes at face value. See what similar beds are selling for elsewhere. That can give you a better idea of the true market rate—and whether you’re actually saving big.
Go in With a Game Plan
It’s a good idea to start your shopping before the holiday weekend actually kicks off. Spend a little time learning about different mattress types and materials. This can give you a sense of what you’re looking at and comparing. Figure out which mattress size you’ll need (measure if you aren’t sure). And then decide on the type that you’re most interested in.
Innerspring beds are by far the most popular. But other bed types all rate considerably better in customer reviews. Ultimately each major model has pros and cons that are worth thinking about. Your sleep position and other preferences will also play a role. The Internet can be helpful when you’re looking for product specs, reviews, and comparisons. So use everything at your disposal. More research is always better.
The easiest thing to do? Consider picking out a couple of options that look reliable and seem likely to meet your needs. Do this before the holiday. Then compare deals from different stores once the promos roll out. That way you won’t have to cram all your shopping and research into one weekend or day.
Skip Ultra-Cheap Promo Beds
Promotional beds can be an enticing prospect for many shoppers. You can often score them for as low as $200 to $500 during major discount events. But beware, buyer. These inexpensive options tend to be poor quality. They’ll likely be uncomfortable. And they’ll probably wear out much quicker than beds that cost just a little bit more.
Consumer Reports suggests that these types of beds probably aren’t ideal for everyday use. But you might be able to get away with using them in a guest room or for a temporary situation. Ultimately, it’s about finding what will suit your needs. Once in a while, promo beds can be a great fit. But for the most part, they’re a lot of hype for very little payoff.
Double Down on the Details
The more you learn about what you’re buying, the more satisfied you’ll likely be. So make an effort to get the details before plunking down your credit card. Research or ask about specific information for each mattress. Think layer compositions, foam density, and coil count. These factors can give you a sense of quality. Then compare prices with other competitors to determine a bed’s value.
Check Quality & Satisfaction Guarantees
Spec information isn’t the only thing that matters. It’s just as important to look into a bed’s return policy and warranty. Many mid-level and higher-end models come with at least 10 years of full coverage protection. The majority of innerspring brands cover sagging of 1.5” or more. Good memory foam and latex warranties will cover sagging of 0.75” or more. If a warranty offers less, you may want to consider other options.
Satisfaction guaranteed and return windows are just as crucial. Even showroom tests can’t tell you how a bed will feel during a full night’s sleep. You should have at least 30 days to make a return if the bed doesn’t work out. Or at the very least, make an exchange.
Look Through Customer Reviews
Another smart tip? Research reviews for both the company and mattress models. Other consumers can provide helpful, unbiased information about quality, service, and comfort. You might not find this kind of feedback from research alone. You’ll often see consistency in the types of things that buyers are reporting (both good and bad). This can give you insight into trends about a model or brand.
Labor Day Mattress Deal Sneak Peek
Some retailers have already released details about their ads and deals for 2018. And many more will be coming out soon. Here’s a preview of what you’ll find from places like Macy’s, Sears, Tempurpedic, Serta, and others. We’ll be updating this list as more promos get rolled out. Bookmark this page and check back often to see how you can score the best price.
If past sales are any indication, you can expect to see a range of great deals under $1,000 for all kinds of beds. Discounts or package/finance deals on more expensive brands will also be popular. In short, there should be something for every budget this year. Here’s a look at what’s available so far.
Online at Amerisleep.com, 8/29 through 9/4.
- $200 off any plant-based memory foam mattress with code “LD200.” Includes free shipping and free returns.
Online at Macys.com and in stores, starts 8/30.
- Expected soon; current ad does not list specific mattress sales.
Online at MattressFirm.com and in stores. Dates TBD; current ad runs through 8/29.
- $179 – $999 – Hampton and Rhodes mattresses
- $306 – $489 – Classic Brands memory foam mattresses
- $449 – $4,799 – Simmons mattress sets, including Beautyrest, Beautyrest Black, Beautyrest Black Hybrid and Beautyrest Black Memory Foam models
- $999 – Serta SmartReact Sunview Firm Hybrid Queen Mattress Set
- Free box spring with Serta iComfort Temptouch models
- Free LP50 adjustable base with mattresses over $1,399, not combinable with any other offers
- Up to $500 off Dream Bed Lux line
1800Mattress / Sleepy’s
Online at 1800Mattress.com and Sleepys.com. Dates not yet specified.
- $199 – Easy Rest 6” Queen Memory Foam Mattress
- $199 – Hampton and Rhodes HR200 Medium Firm Euro Top Mattress Only
- $299 – Beautyrest Greenwood 9.5” Firm Queen Spring Mattress Only
- $399 – Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury 8” Plush Memory Foam Mattress Only
- $437 – Hampton and Rhodes 8” Cool Gel Foam Queen Mattress Set
- Free box spring with Beautyrest Recharge mattresses
- Free box spring with Serta iComfort mattresses
- 30% off Eclipse Gel Memory Foam Mattresses, from $679 in queen
Online at Overstock.com. Dates not yet specified.
- Come back soon! We’re keeping an eye out.
Online and in select stores, from 8/27 through 9/10.
- Up to 60% off beds
- Highlighted deals:
- $299 Sealy Response Kenney Firm Queen mattress only
- $1,149 Stearns & Foster Hustonville Luxury Firm Tight Top Queen Set
- Up to $800 off Stearns and Foster set
- Up to $500 off Tempurpedic adjustable bed and mattress sets
- Sears gift card with purchase (for future use):
- $50 Sears card with Beautyrest Silver Navy Pier set
- $100 card with Sealy Premium Goldrick, Silver Hybrid and Conform sets
- $200 Sears reward card with Stearns and Foster or Sealy Response Rosati sets
- $300 Sears card with Tempurpedic mattress sets; in store only
- Free box spring with select lines, $100-$300 value:
- Sealy Conform (Treat, Optimistic, High Spirits, Fondness, Thrilled, Gratifying)
- Beautyrest Black, Beautyrest Platinum and Platinum Hybrid
- iComfort and iComfort Hybrid beds
Online at Serta.com and select retailers, through 9/11.
- Up to $800 off Serta Adjustable Base and Mattress Sets ($200-$300 off queen sets).
- Queen iComfort Hybrid and memory foam and adjustable sets start from $2,399.
- Free box spring with iComfort mattresses.
- Innerspring & memory foam sets from $1,099 in queen.
Online at Tempurpedic.com, through 9/17.
- Up to $300 off Elite and Luxe lines ($200 in queen size)
- Up to $200 card by mail with select Tempur Ergo base and mattress sets (in queen size, $75 with Ergo Plus, $150 with Ergo Premier)
Online at Walmart.com and in some stores. Dates not yet specified.
- Come back soon! We’re keeping an eye out.
The Last Word on Labor Day Mattress Sales
It’s always great to save on a big purchase like a new bed. Especially when you come across one of those can’t-pass-it-up deals. But you still want to get a product that’s worth your money. And you want to be happy with your purchase for years to come. Remember, we spend about a third of our lives in our beds! So plan ahead and do your research. A little legwork will help you save—and sleep better.
That’s why we’re such big fans of Amerisleep. Not only is this brand offering a substantial discount on all of their beds over the holiday weekend. Their products have a proven track record of delivering comfort. And they’re made from high quality materials, so you’re getting a great value for your money.
These are just some of the reasons why we’d recommend starting your shopping journey with the AS2 or the AS3. Both beds are designed with satisfying sleep in mind. Plus they come with a 100-night risk-free sleep trial. So you can try either out in the comfort of your own home. If the bed turns out to be a poor fit, you can send it back at no cost. In short, there’s nothing to lose. The only thing you’ll likely gain is better sleep.