Adjustable beds have quickly become a top choice for a number of consumers. While these types of beds have certainly made their mark in the industry, buyers are still faced with plenty of choices that may make choosing the right adjustable bed a little easier said than done. Here, we will break down the pros and cons of specific models of adjustable beds so consumers can make a knowledgeable choice about which one is best for their particular needs.
Steps for Choosing an Adjustable Bed
- Decide which features are “must-haves” for your needs. Massage and wireless remotes may be vital for some, and unnecessary for others.
- Determine the type of mattress you will be using. Most modern adjustable beds do not include a mattress; the base is a separate piece (like a foundation or boxpsring). So, you will need to buy a mattress as well, and it’s typically more convenient and cheaper to buy your mattress with the adjustable base. Latex and memory foam around 10″ tend to work best, though certain spring beds may do okay.
- Determine the right bed size. Twin, twin XL and full are fine for one person, though couples should opt for a queen or split king for more space and customizability. People over 6ft may appreciate the added 4″ length of Cal kings.
- Start comparing brands and features online to get an idea of what fits your criteria. Google is a great tool for this, and other shopping engines can help as well.
- Develop a realistic budget. Take a look at average prices online so you know how much the features and setup you want will cost. Remember, if it sounds to good to be true…
- Compare a range of retailers to get the best value, and keep an eye out for sales. Some retailers may price match competitors, too. When you feel confident in the product and price, go for it and start sleeping better!
Top Adjustable Bed Brands
Check out our handy comparison chart for easy reference. We’ve noted the key features, sizes, warranties, and pricing for queen size models to help you easily contrast and compare.
Overview of Top Adjustable Beds
Here is an expanded overview of the top adjustable bed brands featured on our comparison chart above. In this comparison we featured beds from two top brands, including the well-rated ErgoStar adjustable beds from Astrabeds and the popular S-Cape and Prodigy bases from Leggett and Platt.
Astrabeds ErgoStar Genesis
This adjustable bed is an entry-level model that offers value pricing and essential features. There are a number of aspects that consumers find attractive such as:
- A wired remote control to make easy head and foot adjustments
- Space-saving design that fits perfectly inside a bedframe
- Battery backup
- Removable legs with the option of headboard brackets
For a person that is in the market for an affordable adjustable bed, the ErgoStar Genesis is a terrific choice. However, because it is on the more basic side it does not come with a lot of the commodities that other luxurious beds offers like massage.
Astrabeds ErgoStar Evolution
This is a step up from the ErgoStar Genesis that comes with the same benefits, plus a few extra. This bed is one of the most-rated online, with over 60 reviews averaging 4.6/5 stars. With this bed you will also get:
- Wireless remote
- Head and foot massager
- Pre-programed zero gravity
- Flat button
This particular mattress is designed for someone that is looking for a few more comforts than what is offered with a basic adjustable bed. One interesting note, is that consumer research indicates about 60-70% of shoppers believe the massage function is beneficial on their beds.
Astrabeds ErgoStar Live Wave
For the ultimate adjustable bed experience, the ErgoStar Live Wave is an excellent choice. It comes with all of the accommodations offered by ErgoStar Evolution, but with the very best features such as:
- Up to 2 programmable positions
- Snore feature to assist sleepers that snore regularly
- Greater massage functionality
This is one of the best bed designed for the buyers who want the comforts of the most luxurious adjustable beds and have sleep disruption for snoring partners.
Leggett and Platt Prodigy
Leggett and Platt Prodigy is yet another luxury adjustable bed. This bed comes with many of the same features of the previous beds stated, but with a few minor differences. The major advantages of the Prodigy are:
- Rolling wave head and foot massager
- 4 programmable positions
- Headboard brackets included in set
- iPhone Compatibility
The disadvantage is that it does not come with the pre-programmed zero gravity option. However, the snore feature is also available with this mattress. It also offers optional iPhone compatibility for bed controls. Consumers will need to weigh how important the pre-programmed zero gravity option is because while that particular feature is unavailable, you will gain a few extra programmable positions and the relaxing rolling wave massage.
Leggett and Platt S-Cape
The Leggett and Platt S-Cape is the perfect bed for someone who is looking for some extra comfort for health-related needs, and is a very popular model. This bed comes complete with the typical commodities of the top of the line luxury mattresses such as:
- The head and foot rolling wave massager
- Programmable positions
- Flat position option with a single push of a button
Reviews indicate this bed is especially useful for those with arthritis or back pain, and the Leggett brand enjoys a solid reputation in the bed industry. It also has a prorated lifetime warranty which offers some additional coverage.
For some consumers, the wireless remote and the additional upright ability will make the difference in their ability to sleep comfortably. In terms of value, it lies somewhere between the S-Cape and ErgoStar LifeWave, as it has a programmable remote and rolling massage, but lacks luxury features like anti-snore and zero-gravity.
Choosing an adjustable bed can be quite the challenge. Many offer similar features with similar price tags. However, between the beds described there are subtle differences. Some adjust higher while others are able to store more information as far as personalized positioning or offer unique comfort features. As the consumer, it is up to you to decide what is most important as far as your health concerns and personal needs. Based on that evaluation, and with tips in our handy checklist, you will be better prepared to make a knowledgeable decision about which adjustable bed is the best one for you.
This article is for informational purposes and should not replace advice from your doctor or other medical professional.